FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups Pieces 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 RegisterRegister 

Forum index » L'Arc~en~Ciel » L'Arc-SHOP

The time now is Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:15 pm
All times are UTC + 1
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
Smoking increases the risk of tooth loss
Moderators: Chenka View previous topic :: View next topic  
siruiyingwu
Fate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:34 am 
Post subject:  Smoking increases the risk of tooth loss

My husband had a tooth removed a few days ago, and a piece of his jawbone came out with it. He was a bit freaked out when he saw the bone, but his dentist said this happens sometimes. Is this true?

Yes, it's true pieces of bone that are very firmly attached to the root of the tooth can sometimes come out during the extraction. I have been in practice for 26 years, and this has happened on occasion. I hope the piece was small it sounds as if the dentist was not alarmed when he removed the tooth, so I would say that this isn't anything to worry about; the bone will probably grow back. Of course, you can always ask your dentist about it again if you have any concerns or reservations.

Normally, in conventional extraction sockets, the bone grows back on its own once the tooth is removed. Growth can be enhanced by adding bone to the site at the time of the extraction. This is a routine procedure in which some type of sterilized synthetic bone or cow bone is incorporated into the blood clot forming a callus, or nidus, where future bone can form. In my practice, I routinely bone-graft every extraction I perform.

I just had all four wisdom teeth removed. http://www.medorder.eu/Dental-Ultrasonic-Scaler-With-Detachable-Handpiece-P4-Compatible-With-EMS-168557.html

The doctor suggested not smoking for 10 days. Why is that suggested?
As we all know, smoking, in general, is bad for you. After the extraction of four wisdom teeth, there are sutures placed, bone often grafted in the sockets, large areas of swelling, and bleeding and blood clotting associated with the procedure.

There are a number of scientific reasons as to why smoking after a mouth operation is bad for you:

Smoking increases bone loss and therefore also reduces the amount of bone that is regenerated after surgical procedures like the removal of wisdom teeth.
The heat of smoke can affect your body's blood-clotting performance and can cause bleeding.
Cigarettes have 4,700 chemical compounds, including 60 known carcinogens. Post-op smoking is especially bad because these chemicals may cause periodontal disease, which causes bone loss and requires more surgery.
Smoking increases the risk of tooth loss after surgery.
Smoking causes a decrease in the body's inflammatory response, which affects the healing of wounds and the regeneration of bone and gingiva, the blood vessels surrounding your teeth.
Cigarettes decrease gingival blood flow. This also slows down the inflammation process, which heals the area and prevents infection.
After an operation as extensive as having all four wisdom teeth removed at once, it is critical to stay away from the heat, nicotine, and associated problems that cigarette smoking can cause.
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
 Forum index » L'Arc~en~Ciel » L'Arc-SHOP

Jump to: